Surgery and Recovery
During this process, you will receive a local anesthetic to numb the areas where the teeth will be removed. You may also receive a general anesthetic that will keep you from feeling pain during the procedure and allow you to sleep while the surgery is performed.
During the surgery, our oral surgeon will perform the following:
- Make an incision in the gum tissue
- Remove bone that may be covering the tooth
- Place stitches if necessary
After the surgery, there are several things you can do to ensure that you are as comfortable as possible, including:
- Change your gauze pads regularly and inform your Boston oral surgeon if you’re still bleeding after 24 hours
- Keep your head propped up to minimize bleeding
- Ice the outside of your cheek to minimize swelling
- Stay relaxed and don’t tax your body for a few days after surgery
- Eat soft foods
- Do not drink through a straw for a few days as this may slow the healing process if your blood clots get removed
- Following our instructions for cleaning your mouth and taking pain medications
At Divine Smiles, all of your pre-op visits, your wisdom teeth surgery, and your post-op appointments can be done under one roof. If you believe you may need your wisdom teeth removed, please contact us today by calling (781) 396-8558.